Monday, March 25, 2013

Galveston Plein Air Painting Workshop....

Plein Air Oil Painting Workshop on the BEACH!!

Coming this April on Saturday the 20th and 27th I will be teaching a Plein Air Oil Painting Workshop at Galveston Island. The past year was a blast and hope to kick off this year with some great painting on the Island.

Plein Air Oil Painting - Galveston Island, Texas
Dates: Saturdays April 20th and 27th
Registration/Meetup at Galveston Art League, 10-10:45am cost $40 each session*
Time: 11am to 4pm

Day 1 Saturday 20th: We will be at Galveston Island State Park on the beach. Sketching and Painting the surrounding area with tips and questions answered.

Day 2 Saturday 27th: We will be near the new Galveston Pleasure Pier Sketching and Painting the surrounding area with tips and questions answered.

I try to keep these classes simple, since painting outdoors can be very challenging especially for beginners. If you don't already have a plein air painting setup I do make them and there's a photo of my setup below. This makes painting very easy and free's your hands up, plus you don't have to worry about your setup blowing over. Make sure to contact me at least a week before April 20th.

*Taking each session is not mandatory but recommended since the more you paint the more you learn.

Materials recommended:
Pochade box, easel/tripod, a way to weigh your setup down, 10lb weight or bag fill with sand
Oil paint Plenty of White, and at least a yellow, blue and red.
Brushes: Size 2,4 flats long handle at least three of each and couple rigger type brushes
OMS: mineral spirits
Medium of your choice
Rags/paper towels, Rags proffered
Couple Panels or canvases to paint on 8x8, 8x10 etc. a panel holder(not required but really handy)
Hat
Sunscreen
Drink water etc.
Snack
Sunscreen


Last year at Galveston State Park, check out the clouds.


This is my setup above. Easy and quick but very steady. During this day the wind was blowing pretty good and it didn't even budge, Nice!!


Last year at East Beach near the Galveston channel me in the grey shirt and hat.


Having fun painting on East Beach, a typical classic oil painting easel, got to love em.



Group shot last year in March on a cold day.








5 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for Following me! I'm now Following you back! I love art, and I'm off to explore your blog in detail!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! Would love to be on a beach right about now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy seeing your paintings. Do you do a lot of plein air work? I bet Galveston is a beautiful place to paint outside. Where do you show your work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do paint plein air but not as often as I would like and Galveston is a great place to paint. I show at Galveston Art League and also I have another Gallery in the works.

    ~Randall

    ReplyDelete